As we want to build our homes, we have a lot of questions in mind about the materials used especially for the manufacture of cement. Since cement is one of the most important construction materials that give longevity to construction, any wrong guidance or effect can cost us heavily or affect the quality of construction.
The following questions should come in our mind while selecting cement for construction:
- Which type of cement to opt?
- Can same type be used for all cement applications?
- Which cement brand to go for?
We can see the number of cement and steel advertisements for the construction of buildings in our country. As part of the business as advertising, we have to be careful while selecting cement and steel.
Various grades of cement available in our market are given below. The cement bag will have an ISI mark and a number on top. Please refer to that number to identify the grade of cement. In all ways, they try to buy cement manufactured by the Cement Corporation of India.
For residential house construction in India, generally, 2 different types of cement are used:
- OPC Cement
- PPC Cement
- Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC)
It is the most widely used cement worldwide, largely useful for the production of mortar, concrete, non-specialty grouts and plaster. Commonly known as grey cement, type is most beneficial in the field of concrete construction.
Beneficial for a large number of common civil works, 33 grades are beneficial for use in ordinary Portland cement Samaya/light environmental conditions. Magnesium, silica, iron, sulfur trioxide, alumina, is supported with many essential components produced with 33 grades that stand up your structures.
Low compressive strength is involved, cement is usually not used where a high grade of concrete is required.
This special grade of cement is highly beneficial for the purpose of plain cement concrete as well as large-scale concreting. In addition, the grade is beneficial for single-story individual homes and caters to various needs associated with plaster.
Properties of OPC
Some properties of OPC cement are following:
- OPC in popularly widely used in house construction work more choice
- OPC cement attend the strength in less time
- OPC cement have different grade of cement live 33, 43 and 53
- Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC)
PPC has undoubtedly become an important option because of its use of pozzolanic material which gives better properties to cement. It involves a large amount of beauty and is designed to be highly resistant to corrosion.
Although it is going to be less initial setting time, it gains more strength over time. To facilitate better functionality, types are recommended for use in general construction while being strongly recommended for plaster, tiling, and masonry.
Its use not only costs less construction but also is largely responsible for changing the quality of the structure.
Properties of PPC cement
- It is inexpensive than OPC
- Better confrontation against chemicals
- It facilitates better workability
- Eradicating framework having more time
Which brand to choose and Why?
The Indian cement industry is dominated by only a few companies. The share of the top 20 cement companies of the country’s total cement production is about 70%. 97% of the total installed capacity in the country together accounts for a total of 188 large cement plants with 365 small plants remaining. Out of these large cement plants, 77 are located in the States of Andhra Pradesh, Rajasthan, and Tamil Nadu.
In 2016, the Competition Commission of India had asked 11 cement companies and their lobby group Cement Manufacturers Association (CMA) to pay a fine of Rs 6,714 crore for alleged cartelization. It also blamed the lobby group of these manufacturers for facilitating price collusion; A similar fine was imposed in 2012.
The huge number of good brands available in the market often confuses customers as to which brand to use. Some brands like Ultratech, ACC, Ambuja, and JP Associates have many manufacturing units and are popular in many states thus taking command of premium.
Uses and Applications
- OPC 53 grade cement is recommended in all RCC structures such as levels, columns, beams and slabs, where ever initial and final power is the major structural requirement.
- PPC cement is useful for normal construction works and is strongly recommended for masonry, plaster, tiling functions as initial strength is not a major factor of performance in this application.
Which cement is best for foundation?
We recommend using Portland Pozzolana Cement (PPC) which is the ideal cement that can be used to lay the foundation of your home. The reason that PPC cement is recommended is due to its ability to give its properties of slow hydration and excellent power after treatment.
Best roof Cement in India:
The best roof cement in India includes OPC53 grade and PPC cement, brand name Ambuja plus Roof Special Cement, ACC Gold, ACC F2R, Shri Roofon Concrete Master, Ramco Supercrat Cement.
Best cement for slab
We recommend using 53 grades OPC or Portland Pozzolana cement because these cements are good for making strong concrete and are particularly good for reinforced concrete structures.
Best Cement for Masonry Work/Brick Work
We recommend using Ordinary Portland Cement (OPC) 43 or 53 grade. The reason why we recommend it is because it attains higher compression strength of 27 Mega Pascals in just 7 days.
Here is the list of top best cement companies in India
- UltraTech Cement Limited
- A production capacity of 60 million tones
- Operates Vikram Cement Works, the largest cement plant in Asia
- Headquartered in Mumbai
- Spread across five countries
- Priced at 50kg/ 270 INR
- ACC Limited
- First cement company to launch Bulk Cement
- Housed under the parent company, Lafarge Holcim Group
- Comprises 50 concrete plants and 17 cement plants across the country
- Headquartered in Mumbai
- A production capacity of 33.4 million tones
- Established in 1936
- Price : 380 INR/ 50 kg
- Ambuja Cement Limited
- Cement capacity: 29.65 million tonnes
- Operates across 80 counties
- 2300 operating sites
- Headquartered in Mumbai
- Priced at INR 345 per bag
- Shree Cement Limited
- Strategizes production around the customer requirements
- Was the first to sign the popular initiative, Cement Sustainable Initiative (CSI)
- Headquartered at Kolkata
- Offers as many as 12 Lakh products as listed
- A production capacity of 39.9 Million Tonnes Per Annum
- Price: 280/- per bag
- Birla cement Limited
- An Indian based flagship conglomerate of M.P. Birla Group
- Headquartered in Kolkata
- A Production capacity of 15.5 MTPA
- Employees of around 5,776
- Price: Rs 405 per bag
- The Ramco Cement Limited
- Headquartered in Chennai
- Established in 1957
- A production capacity of 16.45 Million Tons Per Annum ‘
- Caters to domestic market
- Equipped with a number of modern quality control system
- Price: Rs 285 / 50kg
It wraps up the list for the best cement brands in India in 2021. Now that you have gained a vivid understanding of the best brands in the country, it is nothing about time but arranged for the best. There is a dire need to provide the right resources for building strong structures, and this can only be achieved with the help of awareness.
India being one of the most populous countries is always in touch with many constructions. It is only with the use of the right material a country can build strong foundations and prosper towards its road of development.